apt-rpm handles obsoletes differently?

Vincent Danen vdanen at annvix.org
Mon May 8 06:08:17 PDT 2006

* Panu Matilainen <pmatilai at laiskiainen.org> [2006-05-08 00:39:47 -0700]:

> >> OTOH, you could just use "apt-get upgrade" instead of "dist-upgrade" and
> >> the problem will go away.
> >>
> >> The main difference between those is that dist-upgrade takes obsoletes
> >> into account, upgrade doesn't. So if your packages never get renamed
> >> within a stable release, "upgrade" is the right thing to do and that's how
> >> it's originally meant to be used (in Debian with it's packaging policies
> >> applied): "apt-get upgrade" to pull in updates for a given distribution,
> >> "dist-upgrade" is only to be used (and required) for upgrading from one
> >> distribution version to another - hence the name.
> >
> > Ahhh... I see.  I've always used dist-upgrade with apt (well, with fink
> > anyways).  So I wasn't aware there was a difference.  I think I'll want
> > to use conflicts in this case anyways because Annvix absolutely needs to
> > be 100% remotely upgradeable, and that would include package renames,
> > changes, etc.  So dist-upgrade would definitely be useful there.
>
> Yup, "upgrade" has other limitations (on purpose), like never installing
> or removing packages, if the dependencies of a new package require such
> actions "upgrade" will just hold back such updates. So sticking to upgrade
> would limit possibilities of what can be done in updates a lot. So pretty
> much everybody (at least outside Debian :) uses dist-upgrade for all
> updates.

Makes sense, and probably why dist-upgrade is all I've ever used with
apt.  Fixing the conflicts on exim and postfix did correct the "loop" so
all is good.  =)  Thanks again for the help there.

--
Annvix - Secure Linux Server: http://annvix.org/
"lynx -source http://linsec.ca/vdanen.asc | gpg --import"