[patch] External intl/gettext-0.14.5

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Thu May 4 20:30:26 PDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-05-04 at 22:28 +0300, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-05-04 at 15:02 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > Hi again,
> >
> > as mentioned before, here comes a patch
> > * to convert apt-rpm to using gettext-0.14.5
> > * to using an external "intl"
> >
> > *BEWARE*
> >
> > This patch requires all of my patches from earlier today to be applied
> > before.
> >
> > This patch removes and adds a lot of files, in particular, it removes
> > "intl/" entirely, adds many files to m4/ and adds some files to po/.
>
> I'd rather hold this until the next "new feature" release rather than
> apply right now [1].
Sigh, sometimes I feel sooo tired ...

The only "new feature" inside of this patch is not bundling a copy of
libintl. Everything else is importing the ca. 4-5 years in development
gettext has seen since the version currently being used in apt-rpm.

If you think ignoring these 4-5 years of progress is the appropriate
approach, I beg to differ: I feel it's a fault.

>  Another thing is that people are still rather
> slowly finding their way on to this new list so it might be not such a
> bad idea to give people more time to comment in case some of those folks
> using apt-rpm on HP-UX etc (gasp :) would protest.
Users on systems without gettext support can always build libintl
standalone and link against this external libintl, or resort to
--disable-nls.

Ralf