apt vs urpmi

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Wed May 3 09:43:43 PDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-05-03 at 10:07 -0600, Vincent Danen wrote:
> [...]
> > with
> > Mandrake's Cooker and am now using Apt-RPM on PhoeNUX OS, the Linux
> > distro
> > that I am project
> > leader for. The differences that I see for the average user is that
> > apt
> > has a different command structure, the apparent lack of ability to
> > handle
> > different media at
> > command line instead of editing a config file, and the fact that urpmi
> > has a few neat little features like displaying the README.urpmi after
> > the
> > package is installed. The
> > difference in command structures is, while annoying that your users
> > would
> > have to get used to a new way of doing things, understandable as urpmi
> > uses
> > GNU-styled command
> > arguments (a vestige of it's Perl underside) while apt uses it's own
> > style of arguments. Panu may be able to comment on the lack of media
> > filtering better than I can.
> > Finally the display of the README.what-ever-you-want-to-call-it can
> > easily be scripted using the Lua extension system.
>
> Yeah, I know the commandline will be different which will probably be
> harder for me than any of my users... =)  I actually work for Mandriva
> so have been using (and used to) urpmi since the day it was written.
> But I'm up to the challenge.  I think I'll probably miss (and screw up)
> the commandline stuff for a while, but it'll get better.  Also, Annvix
> does a *lot* of stuff different, so even though it was originally based
> on Mandriva, the entire system has changed to the point it doesn't even
> resemble Mandriva anymore except for urpmi (things like runit vs
> sysvinit and other changes).  So "change" isn't necessarily a downside
> as those of us using Annvix know there is not a single distro out there
> like it.
>
> Oh, and "average user" isn't a word we use with Annvix... there are no
> "average users".  =)
>
> As far as the README.urpmi stuff goes, I don't think I've ever really
> used it.  In Annvix, we use the OpenBSD "man afterboot" approach and
> build dynamic manpages with information.  What little information needs
> to be immediately apparent (such as setting up a password for mysql,
> say) gets sent to STDOUT in the %post scripts.  I think maybe one
> package has a README.urpmi, so that's not a big issue.
>
> Media filtering could be a bit of an issue, but I don't think it should
> be bad.  Because of how differently we do things, the "average" Annvix
> user should have two media: the main annvix medium and the ports medium
> (the latter is compiled-from-source rpms stored in a local repository on
> the machine).  The chances of things conflicting there are pretty small.
> We don't have to worry about main (7 CDs) vs updates vs community vs
> contribs vs PLF vs all the other urpmi media out there.

Apt's media / repository handling sucks rocks really :) Some of it boils
down to the sources.list format and the library for handling even that
is basically non-existent, libapt-pkg only knows how to read the
sources, nothing about editing it. Doing something about that is on the
roadmap long-term items, the problem is that it's going to be painful
wrt anything built on top of apt. For example Synaptic has it's own code
to read + write sources.list entries, largely due to the shortcomings of
libapt-pkg in that area.

> > Also, from an ex-urpmi users standpoint, apt seems to play better with
> > speed than urpmi as well due to the fact that it is all in a compiled
> > language.
>
> Oh absolutely.  I kinda new that apt would likely be faster and, I'm
> assuming, have a smaller footprint as well.  With every urpmi operation,
> perl needs to be run which gives us nice overhead.  With apt, there is
> no overhead, which is good.

Yup, speed is certainly one of the main attractions about apt compared
to other alternatives.

> Annvix is meant to be fast and light.  And, if I understand correctly,
> it handles GPG signatures now (I think when I first looked at apt-rpm
> a few years ago it didn't).  That is the other thing that makes apt
> viable for me.

GPG support isn't integrated in apt but can be easily done with
Lua-extensions, there are gpg-checker and gpg-autoimporter extensions
included in the contrib directory of the apt tarball for example.
Integrating the GPG handling again is something I'd like to do in the
future.

> > There are more than a few distributions that have interest in keeping
> > Apt-RPM continuing with development, as the other options are just NOT
> > an
> > option due to speed and
> > performance issues, and as noted the added dependancies that they
> > bring
> > with them.
>
> I'm glad to hear that there is interest in ongoing development.  I don't
> want to ditch urpmi just to pick up something that may be gone in a year
> or two and force me to go back to urpmi.
>
> And if apt has a good focus on security, then I'm even happier.

<cough> Security... <cough> I wouldn't count on that too much at the
moment, apt's codebase is *dirty* but the intent is certainly to clean
it up + make it safer.