test/ ?

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Fri Jun 30 20:08:30 PDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-06-30 at 09:01 -0700, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Jun 2006, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > are there any plans on the sources in test/?
> >
> > I've implemented a patch to build them under automake control, but ...
> > except of 3 programs, most of the stuff inside test/ directly depends on
> > apt-deb code and currently is non-buildable with apt-rpm.
>
> Me thinks the test/ sources might be interesting to opensource historians
> if there weren't any more interesting historical code to look at :)
;) ...

> I don't think I've ever really looked at them (before now), never mind
> built them, guess it could be just as well removed. It could be nice to
> have some *useful* testing code around but the current stuff hardly
> qualifies.
... exactly. test/ to me looks like the Debian apt developer's graveyard
of "dead code" ...

Anyway, ... below is patch I mentioned above.

3 programs are being built by default, all others are implemented as
EXTRA_PROGRAMS, i.e. they are not being built by default, only if
explicitly requested "make <program>"

None of them currently build. IMO, they ether should be adapted to
apt-rpm, be re-written to use a common "deb/rpm" API, or be removed.

After applying the patch:
svn add test/Makefile.am test/Makefile.in
svn rm test/makefile

Ralf