-Wl,--as-needed

Ville Skyttä vskytta at gmail.com
Fri Jun 30 02:48:39 PDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-06-30 at 12:20 +0300, Panu Matilainen wrote:

> I'm wondering is the --as-needed something we should/could use by
> default? For one, I've no idea what toolchain versions support it in the
> first place... Thoughts?

I don't claim to be too clueful about this, but I do think that
--as-needed is often kind of a lazy man's way out and things could be
fixed without it by getting rid of linkage bloat the traditional way.

OTOH, if that bloat is inflicted by *.pc or *-config or *.la files of
things apt depends on, the traditional way might be less practical than
--as-needed at least if you want quick results... well, and probably in
some cases, if you want any results in the first place ;)