problems passing --prefix to rpm::options to apt-get

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Wed Jun 21 12:47:24 PDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-06-21 at 21:26 +0200, Andrei Kazarov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to use apt-get to install my *relocatable* packages as
> *non-root*. With plain RPM i do this like
> rpm -i --prefix=/myarea --dbpath /myarea/.rpmdb packageA-1.0.0-0.rpm
>
> However, I did not manage to pass those options to apt-get utility,
> neither using command-line options like
> apt-get -o rpm::options::="--dbpath /myarea/.rpmdb" install
> ackageA-1.0.0-0.rpm
>
> nor via local apt.config file passed via -c option.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

Relocation, among some other relatively rare options simply aren't
implemented for the "internal package manager" which calls rpmlib
directly for install/remove etc operations.

You can try using additional "-o rpm::pm=external" option which causes
apt to call the actual rpm binary for installs so the options passed in
rpm::options will get interpreted by rpm itself instead of apt. But ..
this is the first time I remember hearing anybody trying to use package
relocations with apt so it might not work quite as expected, I certainly
haven't tested it ever.