[patch] create dirs

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Wed Jun 14 08:39:17 PDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-06-14 at 11:38 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the patch below changes the configuration to create the systems dirs apt
> presumes to exist based on its configurations.
>
> I presume this patch to be a bit controversial, be cause several of
> these dirs currently can be changed at run-time, while this approach
> assumes them to be hard-coded at configuration time.

No controversy here. This is one of those little things that has annoyed
me for ages (but haven't gotten around to do anything about it) :
"bootstrapping" apt from sources is way too cumbersome at the moment
when you have to create all those directories manually. Those playing
with oddball setups can create the directories by themselves, this
serves the majority of users very well I think.

This doesn't yet create a fully working setup though, cache and statedir
need more directories:
/var/cache/apt/
               archives/
                        partial/
               genpkglist/
               gensrclist/
/var/lib/apt/
             lists/
                   partial/

I extended your patch a bit and added those. Also I removed
the /etc/apt/gpg directory because that's not an "official" directory at
all, it's only used by the optional gpg-import script from contrib/ and
it's not a very good idea anyway (both the location and the way
gpg-import works, need to replace that with something saner some day).

So, applied with slight modifications. Thank you! :)