0.5.15lorg3.1 loses epochs on rh7.3/rh8.0/rh9 (promoteepoch?)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sun Jun 4 15:30:11 PDT 2006

On Mon, Jun 05, 2006 at 12:16:09AM +0200, Dag Wieers wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Jun 2006, Axel Thimm wrote:
> > > I think this might be a promoteepoch handling bug. All these three
> > > have promoteepoch turned on [and need it turned on :/].
> >
> > just an update: Panu fixed this in r200 (thanks again!), so if anyone
> > uses apt on any of these distros, you should grab this changeset
> > (although it is probably only triggered by the presence of a newer
> > rpm, but if you use apt to manage chroots of elder distros on a newer
> > system, you're a candidate, too).
>
> I don't have this problem and I don't have to use promoteepoch when using
> older distros on a newer system (eg. my buildsystem is EL4, the chroots
> are original-rpm el2,rh7,rh9,el3,fc1,fc2,fc3,el4).
>
> I'm a bit confused to who needs to use this promoteepoch configuration
> option. Is it possible that it is only required if the packages were made
> with rpm < 4.2.1 and the rpm in use is >= 4.2.1 ? (basicly atrpms)

No, the need to use promoteepoch has not really anything to do with
ATrpms: The package in these older distros are broken wrt sane epoch
handling. E.g. the versioned dependencies are not using epochs and
instead of fixing the packages, the vendor invented "promoteepoch".

W/o "promoteepoch" the set of vendor packages and interdependencies of
these distros is broken. So for installing some of the vendor's
packages either in releases or updates, your package managing system
needs to know about how promoteepoch was working back then.

If you're lucky maybe the chroots you set-up never pull in such
combinations, and in fact RHEL3 while still tagged as "promoteepoch"
was the first distro to have the broken dependencies cleansed, but
promoteepoch in rpm was still in place in case it wasn't properly
done.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net