man pages

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Thu Jun 1 21:20:12 PDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-06-01 at 21:24 +0300, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-06-01 at 19:01 +0300, Panu Matilainen wrote:
>
> > For me personally plain old ascii with a bit of formatting is by far the
> > preferred way to write documentation,
Frankly speaking, I don't see any need for anything beyond plain old
man-pages. People wanting to use html-manpages, always can resort to
man2html, but I never understood why people would want html-formated
man-pages ;)

Real docs/manuals are a different issue.

> > asciidoc just has the added bonus
> > it can be converted to pretty much anything through converting it to
> > docbook.
Hmm, I am not familiar with asciidoc. To me, it's an exotic tool, with
an unknown footprint, I'd rather not rely upon.

> > So it kinda looks like best of both worlds to me: an extremely
> > easy format to write docs in and yet can be converted to man pages,
> > html, xml, docbook whatever.
docbook would be fine with me, esp. as it seems to be what Debian seems
to be using, which would help keeping diffs to upstream low.

The question I can't answer is: Which tool to use to convert docbook
into "pre-built docs"?

Ralf