[local mirrors] Prefer repo X when packages identical

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sun Jun 18 06:48:55 PDT 2006

Hi,

this is not about partial enabling of repos via priorities and similar
ugly setups. :)

What I want to achieve is to have a local copy of a repo which may or
may not be up to date. In case the same package to be installed exists
in several repos I'd like apt to pick this one instead of going http
or over NFS. If the local copy is in sync, the packages are drawn from
there. If not, some (newer) packages are drawn from the net, others
(unchanged) from the local copy.

A first step to get this done would be to have file:// repos preferred
over non-local repos if priorities/evra otherwise match.

This still leaves open the case of local storage vs NFS which appears
to apt as both "local". But maybe this is too esoteric to build-farms,
so maybe not something to really consider. Still if there were some
kind of deterministic preference mechanism I'd gladly use that - I
know that apt orders the repos internally depending on the order
reading the repos in, and since sources.list.d this has become very
random :(

If this is useful maybe this can get into the new discussed
configuration syntax? If priorities are prepended to evr, then since
these are suffixed they should be called "unimportances"
(at least according to a quick search on antonyms of "priorities" ;)
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net