New repository configuration ponderings

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Mon Jul 31 11:00:51 PDT 2006

On Sat, 2006-07-01 at 18:11 -0400, Gary L. Greene Jr. wrote:
> On Sunday 28 May 2006 14:53, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> > On Sun, 2006-05-28 at 17:33 +0300, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> > > I've been thinking about improving the repository configuration and
> > > related things for a while now. Just yesterday I realized we could
> > > easily use the existing main configuration system for this, instead of
> > > inventing yet-another-file-format and parser for it.
> > >
> > > The repository configuration would look somewhat like this:
> > >
> > > ---
> > > Repositories {
> > >     fedora-core {
> > >         type "repomd";
> > >         baseuri "http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/";
> > >         dist "fedora/linux/core/$(VERSION)/$(ARCH)/os/";
> > > 	label "Fedora Core $(VERSION) - $(ARCH)";
> > >         enabled "true";
> > >         gpg-key "file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora";
> > >         gpg-check "true";
> > >     };
> >
> > Attached is a working bare minimum implementation of this format
> > (configuration goes into apt.conf or apt.conf.d in this version). It's
> > not a lot of code but already enables the very thing I need to use yum
> > for these days: --enablerepo/disablerepo=<somerepo> in the form -o
> > repositories::<reponame>::enabled=true|false
> >
> > 	- Panu -
>
> How much has been done on this feature? Is it in the latest release?

I never did anything past the experimental, very incomplete patch,
mostly because I started worrying about Synaptic. Synaptic knows way too
much about apt internals for its own good, for example it has it's own
sources.list parser (and editor). So, Synaptic is going to require some
major love when the new repository stuff goes in for real, to the point
it probably means forking Synaptic as well. Not that there has been much
work happening on in a long time as Michael has moved on to SmartPM now
it seems. It's just that I'm not exactly looking forward to maintaining
that as well :-/

Of course nothing prevents us from prototyping and testing things in the
"devel tree" in plain apt-rpm and once we're satisfied with it do the
necessary deeds for Synaptic, development versions can be quite easily
excused for not working with Synaptic afterall :)