Requires(pre) support?

Vincent Danen vdanen at annvix.org
Tue Jul 11 09:15:31 PDT 2006

* Panu Matilainen <pmatilai at laiskiainen.org> [2006-07-10 23:26:18 -0700]:

> > So, bottom line is that apt needs to treat Requires(pre) as a PreReq; ie
> > it absolutely must install that package *before* the requiring package.
>
> Actually it should treat it that way, if it doesn't it's certainly a
> bug... but see below
>

> > If using rpmlib already does this as was previously implied, I'd really
> > like to know how to make apt use rpmlib because this is a big blocker
> > for using apt as the default for me.
>
> Apt is using it's own ordering algorithm by default at the moment, mostly
> due to historical/Conectiva related reasons. For their purposes apt's
> ordering worked better than rpm's ordering, but it's quite different in
> how it works, and for example on RHEL/FC one must use rpm's ordering to
> have things working.
>
> Long story short, set RPM::Order=true in your config and rpm's ordering
> will be used instead of apt's ordering. You loose correct erasure ordering
> but erasure ordering doesn't mean much if the installation ordering is
> busted... In svn trunk, rpm ordering is used by default but for currently
> released versions you need to set that config bit manually still.

Ahhhh... ok, this is good.  Thanks for this, I'll make this change to my
packages right now.  Glad that it's fixed in svn too.

> P.S. Sorry about the late response, I'm on vacation and trying to spend
> time away from the computer for a change :)

No worries... there are lots of other things to... ummm... entertain me,
so a little delay is no big deal.  Enjoy your vacation!  =)

--
{FEE30AD4 : 7F6C A60C 06C2 4811 FA1C  A2BC 2EBC 5E32 FEE3 0AD4}
mysql> SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;