Requires(pre) support?

Vincent Danen vdanen at annvix.org
Mon Jul 10 13:43:35 PDT 2006

* Ville Skytt? <vskytta at gmail.com> [2006-07-10 23:15:15 +0300]:

> > > FWIW, I disagree with "wrong", but yes, it allows removing such a thing
> > > afterwards.
> >
> > Ok, but does it remove it automatically if it's not required by anything
> > else?
>
> Sorry, I apparently read your previous question a bit hastily.  Haven't
> tested, but I'd be very surprised if it did, and that would seem wrong
> to me too.

Ok, read that link you provided and Requires(pre) is being used as
"package needs to be there when the requiring package runs it's pre
script), so it would get installed first.  If nothing else requires the
package, rpm will *allow* it to be removed; it doesn't do it
automatically.  So using Requires(pre) instead of PreReq is perfectly
valid and doesn't change anything; it's just that if nothing requires
the package itself, after I install package X (which was a Requires(pre)
on package Y), I can rpm -e package Y without rpm complaining about it
being needed by something.

> > Regardless, this doesn't help with apt not following Requires(pre)
> > ordering.
>
> I know, that's why this stuff was marked as "off topic" in my initial
> reply and I'll shut up now ;)

Ahhh... I missed the OT bit.

So, bottom line is that apt needs to treat Requires(pre) as a PreReq; ie
it absolutely must install that package *before* the requiring package.

If using rpmlib already does this as was previously implied, I'd really
like to know how to make apt use rpmlib because this is a big blocker
for using apt as the default for me.

--
{FEE30AD4 : 7F6C A60C 06C2 4811 FA1C  A2BC 2EBC 5E32 FEE3 0AD4}
mysql> SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;