apt-3.90 build error

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Sat Dec 16 06:21:55 PST 2006

On Tue, 12 Dec 2006, Richard Bos wrote:

> Hi Panu,
>
> Op dinsdag 12 december 2006 07:25, schreef Panu Matilainen:
>>> Ah, that is a pity.  As I used to build them with xmlto.  The command I
>>> use(d) is "xmlto man <input file>".  It should have been peanuts for Ralf
>>> to have this included in the Makefila.am.  I say 'it's a pity', as it may
>>> occur in the future that apt-rpm is merged with the upstream apt (I read
>>> that in the email archives).  Hopefully this happens and than the xml
>>> formatted manpages are to be used again.  Never mind, I'm going to use
>>> what you provide :))
>>
>> Yup, IF the merge ever happens we need to revisit this issue. Even if
>> there's a will it's not going to be an easy or fast process.
>
> I assume you refer to the code and not so much to the manpages.

Obviously the code merging is far more involved, but merging the manpages
isn't entirely trivial either, the current Debian apt manpages are
littered with various debianisms which don't make sense on other systems,
and apt-rpm's new manpages similarly have things that are rpm specific
even if apt and apt-rpm codebases were merged.

>>> What is the status of the apt-3.90?  Is it still considered beta or can
>>> it be declared released, as it has been out in the field for 2 months or
>>> so?
>>
>> It's just a development release. It does appear to be a fairly stable one,
>> but there is a caveat: it breaks Synaptic's progress reporting. Synaptic
>> is going to need more patches to sort it out.
>
> Thanks.  I think i'm going to provide it as an apt-beta for suse than.  Is
> there any timeline known for this release?

"When it's ready" :) Seriously, the 3.90 devel release is supposed to be
basically a beginning of a new development cycle where more radical things
are done. Unfortunately I haven't had much time to dedicate to apt-rpm
lately, no idea when it might be "ready".