apt-3.90 build error

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Mon Dec 11 22:25:30 PST 2006

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006, Richard Bos wrote:
> Ah, that is a pity.  As I used to build them with xmlto.  The command I use(d)
> is "xmlto man <input file>".  It should have been peanuts for Ralf to have
> this included in the Makefila.am.  I say 'it's a pity', as it may occur in
> the future that apt-rpm is merged with the upstream apt (I read that in the
> email archives).  Hopefully this happens and than the xml formatted manpages
> are to be used again.  Never mind, I'm going to use what you provide :))

Yup, IF the merge ever happens we need to revisit this issue. Even if
there's a will it's not going to be an easy or fast process.

> What is the status of the apt-3.90?  Is it still considered beta or can it be
> declared released, as it has been out in the field for 2 months or so?

It's just a development release. It does appear to be a fairly stable one,
but there is a caveat: it breaks Synaptic's progress reporting. Synaptic
is going to need more patches to sort it out.