apt-3.90 build error

Gary L. Greene, Jr. greeneg at phoenuxos.com
Mon Dec 11 12:55:54 PST 2006

On Monday 11 December 2006 15:36, Richard Bos wrote:
> Op maandag 11 december 2006 07:39, schreef Panu Matilainen:
> > > Would it possible to use the xml sources in apt-rpm as well instead of
> > > the sgml sources?  If so, I don't need to have the build error solved
> > > ;)
> >
> > See above, after a lengthy discussion in May-June this year we ditched
> > the sgml/xml stuff completely, the man pages are now written as man pages
> > instead of converting them between formats.
>
> Ah, that is a pity.  As I used to build them with xmlto.  The command I
> use(d) is "xmlto man <input file>".  It should have been peanuts for Ralf
> to have this included in the Makefila.am.  I say 'it's a pity', as it may
> occur in the future that apt-rpm is merged with the upstream apt (I read
> that in the email archives).  Hopefully this happens and than the xml
> formatted manpages are to be used again.  Never mind, I'm going to use what
> you provide :))

Why? What reason is there to move back to using SGML for the man pages? Really
if you want them in HTML, just use man2html or if you prefer DVI, man2dvi. If
you really want Postscript or PDF, you can even convert them as you need with
the various DVI conversion tools. For me, having plain old man troff format
is far easier to modify or extend, and I hardly think I'm alone in that view
here on this ML.

If apt-rpm ever does get re-merged with Debian Apt, I'd think that this issue
will have to be re-visited, as Debian has documentation policies that need
adhered to, but CAN be dealt with using a few extra commands in the makefile
without needing to undo the work that Vincent did creating the new man pages.

> What is the status of the apt-3.90?  Is it still considered beta or can it
> be declared released, as it has been out in the field for 2 months or so?

I've been very confused as to the versioning that you use in this thread...
Far as I know, the versioning of apt-rpm is 0.5.5lorg3.x. Are you referring
to the end version number? If so, then far as I know 0.5.5lorg3.9x is only a
development release and shouldn't be used in production.

--
Gary L. Greene, Jr.
Sent from: uriel.tolharadys.net