apt vs apt-rpm

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Thu Dec 7 11:25:19 PST 2006

On Thu, Dec 07, 2006 at 09:18:37PM +0200, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Dec 2006, Axel Thimm wrote:
> > yesterday I attended a presentation of Michael Vogt on apt, who is the
> > new maintainer of apt in Debian/Ubuntu. It looks like he would be open
> > to getting apt and apt-rpm together again.
>
> Oh, that's excellent news. I know Michael from what little I've worked on
> Synaptic and he's always been very nice to deal with, and has in the past
> shown lots of interest in things apt-rpm does. I'll to talk to him about
> this, thanks for the info :)
>
> > Among other he is also thinking about repomd support.
>
> Heh. Me thinks hell is going to freeze over before Debian switches to
> repomd, I've seen enough comments like "we should we ditch the lightning
> fast, working format we have now for a bloated, slow-to-parse XML"...

Well it was part of the LSB/FSP packaging summit and the FSG seems
very interested in the repomd format because it is quite
distribution-agnostic. I *think* it even has some support for
Suggest/Enhances which at that time rpm didn't even support.

Ideally the rpm/deb parts could be placed into backends and have apt
operate on a common API. The same summit above started blessing
cross-distribution API methods for querying the package database and
registring/unregistring packages BTW.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net