apt-3.90 build error

Richard Bos ml at radoeka.nl
Sun Dec 10 03:14:22 PST 2006

Hi,

I tried to build apt-3.90 for suse, but I get the following build error:
--------------------------
make[1]: Entering directory `/var/tmp/apt/BUILD/apt-0.5.15lorg3.90/doc'
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `apt.8', needed by `all-am'.  Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/apt/BUILD/apt-0.5.15lorg3.90/doc'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
error: Bad exit status from /tmp/rpm-tmp.79897 (%build)
---------------------------

The previous version (3.2) just build fine.  What might be wrong here, does
anyone have a clue, with only the small error msg above?

To make a sidestep, debian apt does have there documentation in sgml nowadays
(actually already for a long time (2 years or more, I guess)).  The docu is
distributed in xml.  See:

apt/BUILD> ls apt-0.6.46.4/doc/*xml
apt-0.6.46.4/doc/apt-cache.8.xml
apt-0.6.46.4/doc/apt-cdrom.8.xml
apt-0.6.46.4/doc/apt.conf.5.xml
apt-0.6.46.4/doc/apt-config.8.xml
apt-0.6.46.4/doc/apt-extracttemplates.1.xml
apt-0.6.46.4/doc/apt-ftparchive.1.xml
apt-0.6.46.4/doc/apt-get.8.xml
apt-0.6.46.4/doc/apt-key.8.xml
apt-0.6.46.4/doc/apt_preferences.5.xml
apt-0.6.46.4/doc/apt-secure.8.xml
apt-0.6.46.4/doc/apt-sortpkgs.1.xml
apt-0.6.46.4/doc/sources.list.5.xml

apt/BUILD> ls -1 apt-0.6.46.4/doc/*sgml
apt-0.6.46.4/doc/cache.sgml
apt-0.6.46.4/doc/design.sgml
apt-0.6.46.4/doc/dpkg-tech.sgml
apt-0.6.46.4/doc/files.sgml
apt-0.6.46.4/doc/guide.it.sgml
apt-0.6.46.4/doc/guide.sgml
apt-0.6.46.4/doc/method.sgml
apt-0.6.46.4/doc/offline.sgml

As you can determine from the list above all manpages are distributed in xml.
These are easily processed with xmlto, that is I think available by default
in most distributions (just an assumption btw).

Would it possible to use the xml sources in apt-rpm as well instead of the
sgml sources?  If so, I don't need to have the build error solved ;)

--
Richard Bos
Without a home the journey is endless