0.5.15lorg3.1 loses epochs on rh7.3/rh8.0/rh9 (promoteepoch?)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Tue Aug 8 03:41:39 PDT 2006

On Tue, Aug 08, 2006 at 01:13:03PM +0300, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> It does matter, and we've been through this already... see below
> [...]
>
> There ARE zero epochs in at least dependencies if not packages themselves,
> and in presence of epoch promotion stripping out existing zero epoch goes
> kaboom, see
> http://lists.laiskiainen.org/pipermail/apt-rpm-laiskiainen.org/2006-April/000071.html
>
> We've tried every possible combination already (see the variants and the
> failures in the thread above): it's simply not possible to support systems
> requiring promoteepoch without untampered dependency information. Sorry
> folks, end of story.

OK, playing through the example above I now have to accept that it's
impossible. :(

So it's either no repomd for promoteepoch'd dostros, or a fixed
createrepo which needs further fixing in yum and smart, too. Or
dropping support for promoteepoch'd distros (from a repo POV, not
apt).

I'm soon going to drop these distros since there is noone supplying
security updates anymore (only RHEL2.1 has security updates, but I never
used/supported 2.1). Until then I think I'll just leave these distros
running on apt metadata.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net