Package depends on epoch, but why

Richard Bos radoeka at xs4all.nl
Sun Apr 30 04:38:35 PDT 2006

Thanks Panu,

Op zondag 30 april 2006 13:27, schreef Panu Matilainen:
> > AFAICS, no references to epoch (0:...).  Why does apt determine that
> > dbus-1-* depends on 0:0.60...?
>
> Because createrepo stomps zero epochs everywhere if epoch doesn't exist
> and that doesn't mix well with reality on pre 4.2.1 rpm versions. To add
> to that, lorg3 tries to hide away those false epochs partially, mixing up
> the situation even more for old rpm versions. What version of rpm does
> 10.1 have, is it still rpm-4.1+patches?

suse101> rpm -q rpm
rpm-4.4.2-40

That looks sufficiently new.

> See the thread starting at
> http://lists.laiskiainen.org/pipermail/apt-rpm-laiskiainen.org/2006-April/0
>00024.html, RHL 9 has similar problems because of the false zero epochs
> reported by repomd data.
>
> Unless I'm missing something, the only solution is to have the metadata
> not lie about epochs, but that breaks smart and yum which both expect the
> epoch property to be always there and be zero for non-existing epochs. The
> remaining option is to add a switch to createrepo to make it possible to
> disable adding those false epochs in the metadata:
> https://lists.dulug.duke.edu/pipermail/rpm-metadata/2006-April/000627.html

Well hopefully this patch makes it into the mainstream package....

I guess for now I'm stuck to manually upgrade the packages...., I think that
apt will not complain anymore once the packages have been installed....

--
Richard Bos
Without a home the journey is endless