Package depends on epoch, but why

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Sun Apr 30 04:40:24 PDT 2006

On Sun, 30 Apr 2006, Panu Matilainen wrote:

> Unless I'm missing something, the only solution is to have the metadata
> not lie about epochs, but that breaks smart and yum which both expect the
> epoch property to be always there and be zero for non-existing epochs.

So the repomd format is just not compatible with older rpm releases
because yum and smart expect an epoch ? In my opinion both yum and smart
should fix their behaviour as both do not even support the older rpm
releases anyway.

> The remaining option is to add a switch to createrepo to make it
> possible to disable adding those false epochs in the metadata:
> https://lists.dulug.duke.edu/pipermail/rpm-metadata/2006-April/000627.html

I could live with that option as well (and given the fact that both smart
and yum will not be fixed soon) that might be our only solution. I hope to
be able to test your patch for RH9 next week.

I hope Yum and Smart do fix this so the option is only a temporary
solution.

Kind regards,