apt-rpm roadmap

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Fri Apr 28 00:15:29 PDT 2006

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> On Thu, 2006-04-27 at 17:59 +0300, Panu Matilainen wrote:
>>  The clean-case could be done similarly .. and in
>> fact apt already does automatic cleanup after installations, only it
>> doesn't clean everything, only packages no longer available from
>> repositories
> While we're at it.
>
> Is there an option to switch off "cleaning".
>
> My problem is: I am using an nfs shared cache directory. One of the
> machines sharing the cache is an i586, while others are i686-class
> machines. Also, not all machines share the same repo setup.
>
> This results into running apt-get on the i586, removing i686-packages,
> rsp. configuration differences causing cleaning up packages a particular
> machine has no use of.

After lots of grepping around: setting APT::Get::Archive-Cleanup to false
should stop the autocleanup.

/me adds to the roadmap: document ALL those pesky configuration options,
there are tons of them and few are even mentioned anywhere outside the
sources, never mind *properly* documented.

BTW, help with improving the documentation in general would be very, very
welcome, and doesn't need C++ knowledge, just working knowledge of
apt-rpm. For example the man pages are full of debianisms which should be
removed / changed to something generic etc.