apt-rpm roadmap

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Thu Apr 27 07:59:21 PDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-04-27 at 15:01 +0200, Dag Wieers wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Apr 2006, Panu Matilainen wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2006-04-26 at 18:40 +0200, Dag Wieers wrote:
> >
> > >  + Like smart the option to update when doing upgrade or install
> > >    eg. apt-get --update upgrade
> >
> > A quick and dirty version of this is about ten lines of code, it'll just
> > read the cache twice. Should be pretty trivial to do properly as well,
> > just need to shuffle code around a bit in apt-get and apt-shell.
>
> In fact, there are 2 things I would like to have in a production
> environment as well.
>
>  + Always perform an update (even when it is not explicitely asked for)
>  + Always perform a clean

Added to the roadmap/wishlist future items - btw the list is now online:
http://apt-rpm.laiskiainen.org/roadmap.shtml

> If we can provide that from the config-file (and maybe that's already
> possible now ?) I would not have to explain why it is required in the
> internal documentation, since we _always_ want to use the latest metadata
> and don't want any old packages around.

All apt command line switches translate directly to configuration
options, that's how they're passed around. So adding a cli-switch means
it's value is settable from the configuration as well.

Oh and 30 second implementation of the always update-thing (either with
--update cli switch or apt::get::update config option) attached, I'm not
committing that because it opens the cache twice so it's horribly
inefficient + ugly :) The clean-case could be done similarly .. and in
fact apt already does automatic cleanup after installations, only it
doesn't clean everything, only packages no longer available from
repositories (that's what the Del: .... stuff you occasionally see is
about), simple matter of adding another cli/config switch, no problem :)

	- Panu -