apt lorg3 on RH9

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Thu Apr 27 02:15:14 PDT 2006

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006, Dag Wieers wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Apr 2006, Panu Matilainen wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 2006-04-27 at 01:23 +0200, Dag Wieers wrote:
>>
>>> Why did the previous apt handle it correctly ?
>>
>> Could you check if the new apt handles this correctly if you're using
>> old apt metadata instead of repomd? That should help pinning it down -
>> there shouldn't be any changes from previous versions with old metadata
>> but ... the repomd changes shuffled around quite a bit of rpm handling
>> code.
>
> Indeed that fixes it. So it is related to the metadata !

Right. So it is a matter of createrepo "lying" about epochs essentially.
There is a simple solution to this from apt POV: make createrepo not put
epochs where they don't exist and apt will do the right thing just like it
does with the old metadata once the hacks trying to fix (unsuccessfully as
we've seen) up for those false epochs are removed from apt.

The question then is, does that break yum, smart or other depsolvers/tools
supporting repomd? I don't know. I guess I could ask on the repomd list
(and expect to be flamed to hell for bringing back that old epoch issue
which most people have blissfully forgotten by now)