apt lorg3 on RH9

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Wed Apr 26 23:08:13 PDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-04-27 at 01:23 +0200, Dag Wieers wrote:

> This probably is because perl 5.8.0 is considered 'older' than 5.00503 or
> 5.007003 and the epoch is disregarded ?

You probably have it right there: with the zero epoch stripped from the
dependency epoch promotion will occur, and with equal epochs 5.00503 is
indeed newer than 5.8.0. Oh hell.

Another patch attempt, this time let's just have all those zero epochs
in their full glory everywhere - revert the previous patch, apply this
and reset the cache and lets see what happens. I just have a nasty
feeling it brings us back to the starting point :-/

> Why did the previous apt handle it correctly ?

With old apt metadata you had untampered version and dependency
information available and handling that got tweaked to do the right
thing back then.

	- Panu -