Why bundling lua?

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Wed Apr 26 09:49:54 PDT 2006

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006, Panu Matilainen wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Apr 2006, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2006-04-26 at 01:47 -0700, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> >> Oh but the thing is that Lua cannot be dynamically linked,
> > Why?
>
> Hmm.. looks like I was wrong, Lua as of at least 5.0.2 can be built as a
> shared library afterall. Maybe it's a recent feature or something. Now,
> since that IS possible I wouldn't be that opposed to a build option to use
> system lua, with default to using internal Lua. *Assuming* it can be made
> to fully and sanely work that way.

configure could be checking for all the required extensions, give a big
warning that these are missing and switch to the internal one, unless
forced to use the external one.

Is it somehow possible to check a script to see what functionality is
required on runtime ? So apt could simply say that a script won't work
because a Lua extension is missing ?

Kind regards,