Why bundling lua?

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Wed Apr 26 03:30:45 PDT 2006

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> On Wed, 2006-04-26 at 01:47 -0700, Panu Matilainen wrote:
>> Oh but the thing is that Lua cannot be dynamically linked,
> Why?

Hmm.. looks like I was wrong, Lua as of at least 5.0.2 can be built as a
shared library afterall. Maybe it's a recent feature or something. Now,
since that IS possible I wouldn't be that opposed to a build option to use
system lua, with default to using internal Lua. *Assuming* it can be made
to fully and sanely work that way.

>>  this is not apt
>> specific issue. So you "bloat" apt just as much if you link it against
>> "system" Lua or not.
> Nope.
>
> You'd have an additional build dependency just like you'd have when
> dynamically linking. And you'd spare a sensible time when building.
>
>> You're worried about code quality, security and bloat? Lua is the least of
>> our concerns there, lets fix apt itself first ;)
> Well, have a closer look into lua -- Apt however is really dirty.

Like said, I'd rather concentrate on fixing apt right now. Externalizing
something that works well to shave off a few kilobytes from tarballs or
seconds from building is totally uninteresting to me considering all the
other issues and bugs in apt.