apt lorg3 on RH9

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Tue Apr 25 12:38:45 PDT 2006

On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 06:14:36PM +0300, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> Apt treats zero epochs in package versions from repomd as non-existing
> to try to deal with this but it's obviously not enough, provides and
> dependencies need to be dealt with as well. Can you try if the attached
> patch fixes it (do "rm -f /var/cache/apt/*.bin" first)? This treats zero
> epoch from repomd as nonexistent on dependencies as provides as well,
> which I think should trigger the promoteepoch behavior. Hopefully. I've
> been trying hard to forget about the epoch mess of the old days :)

promoteepoch is different from "no epoch" != "zero epoch". I don't
remember the details, but promoteepoch meant something like "the
currently installed packages win over external ones if their version
is higher regardless of epoch". Or probably even worse than that. :/

The test to distinguish between no-epoch-zero-epoch and promoteepoch
bugs is to see whether apt metadata also fails. If it does it's
promoteepoch, otherwise it's no-epoch-zero-epoch.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net