apt lorg3 on RH9

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Tue Apr 25 09:07:59 PDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-04-25 at 17:37 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-04-25 at 18:14 +0300, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> > On Tue, 2006-04-25 at 15:31 +0200, Dag Wieers wrote:
>
> > > This seems to be epoch related, however it doesn't concern an undefined
> > > epoch afaics. This is what is installed:
> >
> > Sigh. Oh well, I certainly did expect epoch breakage on older RH's. The
> > repomd data is fedora.us all over again: it stomps zero epochs on every
> > package, versioned dependency and provides regardless if the epoch
> > actually is defined as zero or doesn't exist.
>
> Can you explain why apt doesn't do the same?

It's a (perhaps vain) attempt to support the ancient rpm versions where
zero is not equal to none mostly.

IIRC there were some other things (scripts breaking, weird results with
combination of old apt repos vs repomd or something) why I started
"hiding" those zero epochs. I'm not convinced it's the right thing to do
but I don't like those false zero epochs either.